Don’t let the “D” word frighten you! Yes, we are talking about Downsizing. When you are thinking about moving in Denver, thoughts will come up about how much of your stuff you really need. Inevitably, you will begin pondering on some items you should get rid of. You may wonder how to go about it. You may deliberate who will take the things you want to relinquish. You might question if you will feel remorse about getting rid of some of your belongings.
How to determine what to discard:
There are lots of considerations that you can go through when determining what to discard. You should give careful thought to when you last used the item. If it has not seen the light of day in a decade, it is probably not something that you need to keep. Think about if the item is still useful to you. If it is an article of clothing like a jacket, try it on. If it does not fit, place it into the discard pile.
One important thing to refrain from is delaying decisions. Many times, this will lead to you hanging on to more things than you should have. Go with your first instinct and decide promptly if you should keep the item. When there are memories tied to items it can be emotional to give them away, but the memories will carry on even after the item has found a new home.
How to divvy up your discard pile in Denver:
- Garage Sale: This might take some work but will also get you more back than you would with other methods. The steps to throwing a successful garage sale is straightforward. Beforehand, investigate any city ordinances in Denver and homeowner association rules to make sure that you abide by them. Then, price your items a fair price, especially if you will just give them away free of cost otherwise. Next, announce your sale. You need to have signs situated at nearby intersections that will direct shoppers to the sale. It may be fruitful to set up advertisements online to get more people to your sale. Finally, sit back and enjoy making a little money while conversing with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more precise step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in Denver.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your things, donating your items to a charity in Denver is a great way to do that. You will assist a worthwhile cause. You will also benefit the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, simple way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some organizations will even come and pick your donation up from your home.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just getting a household started, asking if they need any items would be a grand thing to do Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you might be surprised about what people request. It will give you pleasure to give someone something that they need.
- Consider a storage solution in Denver: There will be some things that you will not want to get give away. If there is no room for them in your next living situation, consider renting a storage locker. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for everyday living. If a storage unit is not in the budget, ponder if any family or friends would be able to store items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some items in your house could be organized more adequately. For example, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and put them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are using down, while affording you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to get ready for a move will take effort. Think of all the time that it took to accumulate everything you own. Nevertheless, once you have downsized successfully you will be glad that you did it. You will be able to focus your energy on the things you truly care about and have a need for.