Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re moving, you probably have a lot of considerations—and a lot of expenses. The last thing you want are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need the assistance of an experienced and trustworthy mover who will assist you to findways to reduce your moving expenses, and who will supply you an detailed estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find the Best Company for Your Move in Denver
For starters, you need to know not all moving companies are identical. Some are capable, professional and ethical—others aren’t. Per Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can locate a professional company to help you move by simply doing a little groundwork. You can, for example, verify their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and read online reviews and complaints.
You should also visit their website—the best movers are often recipients of prestigious awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often post these awards on their website.
How to Interpret the Factors of Your Moving Costs in Denver
Many elements affect the cost of your move. For example, what you pay will be based in part on components like the total weight of your belongings and the mileage to your new home. There are several other aspects, however, which will affect the total of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Keep in mind, you’re paying the moving company for their time. Certainly, they’ll require more time if you ask them to pack your belongings. You can save money by packing some or all your belongings yourself. You can decrease expenses some more by taking apart large pieces of furniture rather than having the mover do it for you. Finally, you’ll pay more for specific kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if items like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be more.
- Poor accessibility to your pick-up or drop-off location in Denver: If your current or future home is in an area which impedes access for a large truck (for instance, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers must find another method to get belongings out of your old home or into your new one. In this case, they might need to use smaller vehicles to gain access. In this case, you will need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The total of your move will also be more if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which the movers need to maneuver your belongings up or down. You might also have to pay a long-carry fee if the distance from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is more than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger may be needed to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the most prevalent reasons for increased costs. If you need to put into storage some or all your possessions at the carrier’s warehouse because your new residence is not ready for you, you’ll have to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the craziest moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will be more expensive. You can save money if it’s possible to execute your move from September to May. You’ll also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for integrity, reliability and candor by mistake—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working everyday to win their trust. The most critical thing you can do to obtain a safe move and lower your costs is to find the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work hard to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To understand more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.