Denver Moving Blog - Tips, Tricks, and Insider Info
January 14, 2019

Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Denver

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either nearby or across the country takes a large amount of coordination along with organization, and many folks neglect to gather the correct papers ahead of time. Below is a short resource guideline regarding many of the significant documents that you'll need no matter whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Denver.

Truth be told, it's not as if you must have a passport along with a work visa to relocate across the state line, however once you have assembled all of your life documents together to cross the border those are close to the only things you don't need. And how our brains work, you might be ready to need all of this paperwork for a cross-country move, however if your move is geographically local--from Memphis only over the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, for instance, it may come as a shock that you'll require all those files.

Below are records you will almost certainly need to keep on hand while moving, and how to get them should they have expired or perhaps you have misplaced them.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses are not good for federal recognition a lot longer, you still have to have a current one--you should have it anyway, however if it expired a couple weeks or a few months ago and you figured since you're moving why bother, go take the time. If you wish to check in at the airport, rent an automobile, open up a bank account, or execute life on the whole, you must have a current driver's license to accomplish this. If you're in a state where you can't get your driver's license from the local Tag Agency same day, ask for a paper back up of the new license to make use of ahead of the printed version showing up in the mailbox; that is satisfactory ID for a period of around three weeks.


Should you be moving for a new job, the probability is decent that you will have to prove US citizenship before you get started. You can renew it by mail should you satisfy certain factors--your name has not changed, your previous one was issued not more than fifteen years back, you were at least sixteen at that time, among others--however otherwise, you will need to apply for a new one in person. It is possible to request an expedited passport if necessary however be prepared to pay an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will need a copy for everybody in the family for your move to Denver. If you cannot put your hands on your original copies and you reside in the county or parish in which they were all supplied, a simple journey to the county offices will handle it. If perhaps you were born in a different place, apply for the reproduction through that place. Every location differs, so take a crack at an internet search for the county records the place you were born to find the specific instructions to get a certified copy of your birth record. There is usually a minimal charge involved.

Marriage License

If you need a copy, observe the very same technique you would for the birth certificate. A household Bible or document from the religious organization isn't a sufficient legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everybody in your family should have a social security number and a card; if you cannot place your hands on the cards you will want to obtain replacements as soon as possible. You can start the process online, and mail in the supporting documents, or you can go to the closest Social Security Administration office with the papers. Copies--even notarized ones--are not adequate. You'll need picture ID and evidence of citizenship, so bring an active driver's license or passport, school, employee, or armed forces identification card, or a medical health insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You'll need to register your motor vehicles in the new community and state, so take the existing registration cards and proof of insurance protection to the local DMV as quickly as possible after your move to Denver. In a new state you'll get a new license plate and tag; in case your move was within the same state your license plate and tag are good, but your insurance premiums could possibly change.

Medical and Shot Reports

If you've got youngsters, their new schools will have to have verification of immunization in advance of registration. Having copies of all the household healthcare records can help when you've got initial consultations with new health professionals.

Get all your records together as quickly as you can in advance of your move to Denver and keep them together. Considering that you will need original documents of the majority of items, just place all the things inside a file folder and keep it with you or in a safe and secure place throughout the actual move--this is one thing you don't want to misplace.

Should you be wanting to move to Denver, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Get in touch with us right now to schedule your zero cost in-home estimate.


Request a free quote

The Mickelson Family
The Mickelson Family
Best. Move. Ever!
Very pleased with the overall respect and care the men gave to my possessions. Even mailing me very quickly the only thing lost in transit. Would recommend to anyone needing a long distant move.
Read more

Almost there...

Tell us a little more about yourself!
(Contact information is required to submit form.)