Getting Your Documents Together for a Move to Denver

By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group 

Documents for MovingMoving either locally or a fair distance demands a large amount of planning along with organization, and many people neglect to gather the appropriate paperwork ahead of time. Below is a brief reference guide for the various valuable files that you'll need whether moving local or planning for a long-distance move to Denver.

Let's be honest, it is not like you need a passport plus a work visa to transfer across the state line, however when you have gotten your entire life papers together to cross the border those are roughly the only important documents you do not need. And how our minds work, you would anticipate to need all this documentation for a cross-country move, but in the event that your move is geographically close by--from Memphis just over the river to a Mississippi or Arkansas suburb, as an illustration, it may come as a jolt that you need all those files.

Read on for the papers you're going to more than likely have to keep convenient while moving, and the way to obtain them should they have expired or perhaps you've lost your original copies.

Driver's License

Regardless that driver's licenses are not acceptable for federal identity a lot longer, you'll still must have a up-to-date one--you ought to have it at any rate, but in the case it expired a couple of weeks or months ago and you figured since you're moving why take the time, go bother. If you wish to register at the airport, book a car, open up a bank account, or do life on the whole, you need an up-to-date driver's license to do so. If you're in a state in which you cannot obtain a driver's license via the area Tag Agency same day, inquire about a paper back up of the new license to make use of in front of the hard copy showing up in the mailbox; that is satisfactory ID for a period of around three weeks.


If you are moving for a new position, the probability is very good that you'll need to verify US citizenship before starting. You'll be able to renew it by mail when you meet specific guidelines--your name has not changed, your previous one had been issued no more than fifteen years ago, that you were at least sixteen at the time, amongst others--but if not, you will need to make application for a new one in person. It is possible to ask for an expedited passport if needed but be prepared to pay an extra $60 or so.

Birth Certificate(s)

You will want a copy for everybody in your household for your move to Denver. If you're unable to put your hands upon the originals and you are now living in the county or parish whereby they happened to be distributed, a simple visit to the county offices will handle it. If you were born somewhere else, obtain the reproduction through that area. Every location is unique, so try an internet search pertaining to the county records the place you were born to obtain the precise instructions to acquire a certified copy of your birth record. There is generally a nominal cost involved.

Marriage License

If you need a reproduction, observe the exact same process you would for the birth certificate. A household Bible or even certificate from your church is not a suitable legal document.

Social Security Card(s)

Everyone in your family will need to have a social security number in addition to a card; if you're unable to put your hands on them you'll want to acquire replacements without delay. You can begin the process online, and also send in the supporting files, or you could proceed to the local Social Security Administration office with the documents. Copies--even notarized ones--are not satisfactory. You need to have picture identification and evidence of citizenship, so bring an active driver's license or passport, school, employee, or armed service identification card, or a medical insurance card.

Automobile Registration

You are going to have to register your motor vehicles in your new community and state, therefore bring your latest registration cards as well as proof of insurance to the local DMV at the earliest opportunity right after your move to Denver. In a new state you will get a different license plate and tag; in case your move was within the same state your license plate and tag are good, however your insurance costs could possibly change.

Health and Immunization Records

If you have children, their new schools will have to have verification of immunization prior to registration. Having replications of all family medical records can help when you've got initial appointments with new health professionals.

Assemble all of your records together as quickly as you can in front of your move to Denver and keep them together. Since you'll need original documents of most items, simply put everything within a file folder and keep it with you or in a safe and secure location throughout the actual move--this is one thing you won't want to lose.

If you are ready to move to Denver, let A-1 Freeman Moving Group assist. Speak to us right now to schedule your zero cost in-home estimate.


Request a free quote